About You and Mojeek
Are you interested in developing and commercializing a genuine search engine? Mojeek is an independent search engine that does not track its users. We are looking for an enthusiastic and smart developer who will contribute to and potentially lead our small web development team. The largest independent web search engine outside of Big Tech has been built by us. Other so-called “search engines” use the Google or Bing search results. Many users don't realize this until they come across Mojeek. Our search, advertising, and web stacks are developed in-house and run on our own servers. Our company has an international user base and a roadmap that is ambitious.
You will be working closely with our founder and CEO to deliver new and improved products to our customers and users. You will contribute to and potentially manage a team of web developers responsible for our website, mobile apps, search engine, and advertising platforms. In order to succeed, you will need to be resourceful and able to think from the ground up. Due to the fact that we do not track, we do not accept the approaches and tools used by most startups. We do not use web services that harvest data. Most of our tools are self-hosted. As the company grows, the successful candidate will be able to play a pivotal role.
What we offer:
- A salary commensurate with experience and company stage
- Permanent and full-time employment
- Key role in building a funded startup
- Stock options
- Work in a startup tackling the global search market
Skills, values and experience
This role would suit a mid-level developer that’s ready to step up, or an experienced developer passionate about fixing web search.
Your organizational and interpersonal skills, as well as your command of English, will be strong. You will be a team player willing to get stuck into tasks of all sizes. You should be comfortable with both front-end and back-end web development. Proven experience of being able to ship products is essential.
Relevant skills you will have are:
- Experience in PHP, PostgreSQL (or MySQL) and Redis
- Good knowledge of version control and Git
- Driven to write clean, maintainable and well-tested code
- Enjoy mentoring junior developers and cultivating an environment where everyone learns from each other
- Experience in React-Native and/or mobile app development lifecycle would be advantageous
Formal qualifications are not as important to us as skills developed in practice. Experience with startups is highly valued. You will share the same values as Mojeek's staff and stakeholders.
We are a small team that works remotely. Where it makes sense, we will support local hot-desking. Candidates should preferably reside, and be employable within, the UK at this stage of the company.
For candidates from outside the UK please note:
- A considerable amount of time overlap would be required with UK staff
- Shortlisting will be based on a higher standard
- Sponsorship of visas is not available.
How to apply
Closing Date:(5pm GMT, 30 October 2021)
If you really wish to avoid Workable then send your CV to careers(at)mojeek(dot)com explaining why you would be a good match for this role. In your response please answer the following question, and complete the second sentence with a few words or sentences:
- What particular attributes and/or experiences make you suitable for a small company challenging Big Tech?
- Web search engines and search advertising, with no-tracking, are needed ……..
Recruitment agencies: Mojeek does not accept or even look at agency resumes, therefore please refrain from sending them to us. Thank you.